With more than half of America’s dogs categorized as obese, it’s clear that pet owners need to do something about this epidemic. The issues contributing to this alarming statistic are the same as what you would expect in a report about humans: lack of exercise and unhealthy diets. When combined, these factors create a dangerous situation for your four-legged friend, so it’s time to get your dog in shape so they can enjoy a long, healthy life!
How Daily Walks Impact Your Dog’s Health & Behavior
It’s no secret that dogs, like humans, need regular activity in order to stay healthy. Simply sitting around the house isn’t going to keep your dog fit, so it’s important to get outside on daily walks where the dog can get his or her blood pumping. Here are some specific reasons why walking is imperative for a healthy, happy, and well-behaved dog:
- Bored dogs are more likely to be destructive around the house – they will take out their excess energy on your shoes, pillows, carpet and trash.
- Walking at a good, steady pace for at least 15 minutes per day can help keep your dog’s digestive system regular, as well as give him or her a heart-strengthening cardio workout.
- Exercise helps burn extra calories that lead to weight gain. Obesity in dogs leads to health problems like heart problems, joint pain and difficulty breathing.
- Dogs that get regular exercise live longer, have greater stamina, and have a lower risk of developing arthritis.
- Dogs enjoy going on walks – it gives them a chance to focus their energy, meet new humans and other animals, reboot mentally, and get outdoors.
Remember to take your dog’s age into consideration before engaging in an activity. Young dogs are fine running around all day long, but older dogs with potential joint issues should not be pushed into extreme physical activity. Know your dog and his/her limits.
How a Healthy Diet Keeps Your Dog Strong
A proper diet is crucial to keeping your dog healthy and without vital vitamins and nutrients, your dog can develop issues with his or her joints, skin & coat, and overall wellness. When it comes to your dog’s health, we trust the experts at Life’s Abundance, whose proprietor Dr. Jane Bicks has integrated the following qualities into her “masterpieces of canine nutrition”:
- You have to feed your dog according to its age, breed, and size, so Life’s Abundance features food and supplements for puppies and adults of all sizes and breeds.
- All of the ingredients are cooked in a way that preserves the maximum nutritional value of each ingredient.
- With a proprietary mix of organic proteins, fats, whole grains, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, microbial and omega-3 fatty acids, every can or bag of Life’s Abundance is absolutely overflowing with nutrition.
- The perfect dog food contains no artificial flavors, colors or anything else that could be harmful to your companion.
We stand by Life’s Abundance because they believe that meeting minimum requirements of health for your dog will result in minimal happiness, health, and longevity. Like Life’s Abundance, we believe that there is no such thing as cutting corners when it comes to the health of your pup.
How We Can Help
Luckily, Top Tails Dog Walking is a business devoted to making every dog’s health our number one priority!
When you’re too busy, our professional dog walkers are happy to drop by and take your dog out for some fresh air and exercise. Furthermore, we can provide dog food from Life’s Abundance that is designed to keep your dog healthy with adequate levels of probiotics and antioxidants. With the help of Top Tails Dog Walking, you can have a healthy dog in no time!