With every new season, different hazards arise for your pets. As the weather gets colder, outdoor cats need to be brought inside and dogs should begin wearing a sweater or coat on walks. But aside from temperature-related concerns, you also need to consider that many winter products and home decorations can be toxic to pets. Worst of all, many of these things tend to smell and taste good to dogs and cats. Therefore, it’s crucial to keep them out of your pets’ reach.
Here are a few common winter items that can hurt your beloved animals:
- Batteries: During the gift-giving holidays, you’ll probably have a lot of batteries sitting around your home. Though they may seem non-threatening, they can cause a long list of serious health problems if ingested by an animal. That being said, it’s important to store your batteries in a place that your pets can’t access.
- Rodent killer: Cold weather means vermin will try to take up residence in your home. If this occurs and you feel the need to use rodent traps or rodenticide, make sure to take extreme caution. Traps can injure a curious pet, and rodent poison can cause death even in small amounts. To keep your pets out of harm’s way, put your rodenticides in a pet-proof container and place them out of reach. It’s also a good idea to save the rodenticide packaging so that your vet will know how to treat your pet if it ingests the poison.
- Potpourri: Though it smells great, potpourri presents a hidden danger when you have animals in the house – it is highly toxic to them! Because cats and dogs like to nibble on things, they may make a snack of your potpourri. Therefore, we advise finding a more pet-friendly way to freshen your home.
- Burning candles: Always keep an eye on your pets (especially cats!) when you have a candle burning. Pets don’t know that fire is dangerous, so they may get too close to the candle flame, bump the candle or even catch their fur on fire.
- Antifreeze: Ethylene glycol, which is found in antifreeze, can be fatal if ingested by cats or dogs. Therefore, it’s very important to clean up any antifreeze leaks or spills right away. If there is any left on your driveway or garage floor, your pet may lick it up. If this happens, your pet will likely become unstable and begin vomiting or seizing. Call your vet immediately if you see any of these symptoms or think your pet may have ingested antifreeze.
- Cold and flu medicines: Winter is cold and flu season, so you’ll probably have medications readily available for when these illnesses strike. Because these liquids can be deadly to pets, be sure to put the lids on after use and to store them in a closed cabinet that your furry friends cannot access.
By keeping these potentially dangerous items away from your pets, you’ll avoid a trip to the vet and keep your animals happy and healthy throughout the winter.
Hire Top Tails for Pet Care in Manayunk This Winter!
No matter which season it is, it’s always important to make sure your pets are properly taken care of when you aren’t home. Luckily, the pet professionals at Top Tails Dog Walking & Pet Sitting are available all year long. For everything from dog walking to puppy care to vacation pet sitting, you can trust us to provide the best pet care in Manayunk.
Interested in learning more about our Manayunk pet care rates and services? Feel free to call us at 215-508-1903 or fill out our online contact form. Furthermore, visit our blog to learn how to keep your pets safe on Thanksgiving as well as how to prepare for a new cat. We look forward to being your favorite Manayunk pet care provider!