Keeping Fido cool this Summer is essential! During the hottest periods of the year, keeping your dog hydrated and cool is very important. Although it’s nice to be outdoors, too much sun can be dangerous. Heat stroke is a deadly condition affecting many people and dogs each year. With the warm weather coming, it’s essential to know how to prevent heat stroke and enjoy a safe and fun summer.
What is Heat Stroke?
Heat Stroke is a real danger to dogs. A study found that half of the canines that get heat stroke won’t survive. Heat Stroke is an elevation of the body’s temperature above the standard (106° F, 40° C) and can lead to multiple organ dysfunctions. This can result in severe injuries and even death. High temperatures are not the only causes that can lead to Heat Stroke. Humidity and excessive exercise during the hottest hours of the day are also known causes. It’s essential to spot the signs of an oncoming heat stroke before things worsen.
Signs of Heat Stroke
There are a couple of ways to determine your pet’s level of well-being. Most of us don’t carry thermometers to measure our pet’s body temperature, so knowing if their temperature is higher than it should be must be seen through observation. Heat stroke can appear in very obvious or not-so-obvious ways. The main signs of an overheated dog are vigorous panting, fatigue, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, and seizures. To spot behaviors like fatigue and confusion, you must observe your pet to see if they are acting out of the ordinary. For more severe signs like seizures, contact the vet immediately.
How to Avoid Heat Stroke
Luckily, heat stroke can be prevented by paying attention to your pet as they spend time outdoors or in a hot area. One way to avoid heat stroke is to walk your dog during the early hours of the day or late afternoon and evening. This way, the sun’s rays won’t be beaming down, and the sidewalks will be cooler. In doing this, your dog can exercise while avoiding the risk of an elevated body temperature. If you are outdoors, always remember to bring some cool water with you!
Alternative Ways to Keep Cool this Summer
When your dog needs some extra energy-burning activities on a hot day, here are some suggestions for fun cooling devices, toys, and treats that can help keep your dog cool and happy:
- Cooling pads: Give your pet a cool place to relax on the ground. The belly is one of the most critical areas of the body to keep cool, and these nice pads are the perfect go-to item for Summer!
- Cooling collar: These unique collars can be an extra cooling element in the Summer. Additionally, a collar is something your pup wears closely against their skin, so you can rest easy knowing there’s a cooling device always on them.
- Cooling toy: Your pup can have a blast while also regulating their body temperature by getting a cooling toy they can play with!
- Treats high in water: One tasty way to cool your pup down is by giving them a cooling, icy treat! Freezing ice cubes with yummy snacks (try carrots or watermelon) can help cool their body temperature when consumed.
- Kiddie pool: Kiddie pools are great ways to let your dog run in the sun while ensuring they don’t overheat. Having a small kiddie pool in the yard so they can play in the water is the perfect idea to ensure their body temperature is regulated.
- Doggie Boots: Although doggie boots do not technically cool a pup down, they are helpful during the hot Summer. Since heat builds on the ground, especially on surfaces like cement and asphalt, dogs can have difficulty walking on those hot summer days and their pads can burn. It is crucial to protect their feet while outside and keep them on grass when possible.
Are you looking for the perfect Summer Dog Walker? Look no further than Top Tails!
When the heat outside is high, it’s hard to ensure your pet is receiving the exercise and care they need. TOP TAILS Pet Sitting can help keeping Fido cool this Summer!, You can be sure your furry friend gets the best care and attention during the day while ensuring they are happy and healthy.
When you can’t be home to do it yourself, TOP TAILS ensures your pup gets the regular exercise and proper care they need! By hiring TOP TAILS for pet care in Philadelphia, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your dog, cat, or small animal is in good hands. You can always trust that our team will provide your furry family members with the best love and care for your pets’ needs.